Monday, March 22, 2010

You asked...I answer

I have had a few questions lately about the type of machines that I use personally and those I use to teach. Sooooo....here they are.

Brother LX3125



First, this is the machine that I use to teach classes. I did quite a bit of interneting and talking out loud to myself in public to decide which was the best machine for teaching purposes and this is the machine that stood out above all for several reasons:

1. It is extremely user friendly. This machine has all of the necessary functions for sewing clothing, home projects and crafting and it doesn't take a scientist or a professional seamstress to figure out how to use them. Easy peasy.

2. It is inexpesive and easy to find. I have found this machine for as little at $58.00 and as much as $74.00 which are both very good prices when it comes to sewing machines. Also, Brother's are available at Target, Walmart and Costco (occationally) - you do not have to venture into a sewing machine retailer - which are great places, but overwhelming sometimes for the novice sew'er.

Brother XR-9000



Second, this is the machine that I got for Christmas... the creampuff. This machine has 80 built in stiches, over 120 stitch functions and you might wake up one morning to this machine brewing you a nice cup of tea and giving you advice on your outfit...it is that awesome. This is the machine that I would reccomend if you are serious about this sewing stuff, if you dream of sewing, if sewing is on your to-do list every.single.day. It really does the job and asks very little of the person sitting in front of it.

Riccar 2600 Super Stretch



Third, the always dependable, extremely fast and efficent Riccar. I love this machine. It makes the most beautiful patterns and asks nothing in return. Riccar's as I am told, were like 'the thing to have' and I can see why, they sew like a dream. Which also leads me to fourth, the teal beast of a Riccar, that takes arms of steel to transport. This is also such a great worker though not many bells and whistles so I don't use it as much as a used to.

Riccar (Who knows? Vintage...the super heavy model)



If you should have any further questions or thoughts, I am happy to answer...I hope this is helpful.

8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just bought a Riccar 2600 at a flea market, the motor works like a dream - purrs like new. I am very new to sewing and this machine, I set the thread up from the top loader and the bobbin no problem - when I tried to sew the stiching was thick on the underside and straight line on top with some missing stiches. The thread through the Check spring on the tension wheel does not seem to be in the right place, maybe loose - not sure the position it should be in? Do you have any ideas what it may be?

    Thanks

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how much the riccars normally cost that specific picture I have looked every where and this is the only one I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize this is a really old post but I recieved the riccar 2600 from my grandmother. I can't get the bobbin to catch not even once. I followed the instructions that came with it on how to thread it. I've cleaned it and even removed a huge gunk of thread but no luck. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some machines can get "out of time"...the needle and the bobbin thread don't arrive at the right place at the same time. Watch the "action" of the machine as you turn the fly wheel very slowly by hand. Maybe you will be able to see if they are "coming together" at the right time..

      Delete
    2. Thankyou. That sounds exactly like what it is.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete