Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Making the Cut




Ever since this adventure of being a sewing teacher began I have searched high and low for tools for smaller hands, especially scissors. Cutting is an extremely important skill to master when it comes to sewing. The accuracy of your cut will determine the entire outcome of the project.


Yes, there are oodles of scissors for children, but not for cutting fabric. I am always dumbfounded when there is something that I cannot find on the internet and I seriously scoured the internet and came up with nada in the way of smaller fabric cutting scissors. Until...


Last Saturday I was at M & L Fabrics in Anaheim (BEST fabric store in Orange County...no kidding) and as I was paying for my loot I noticed that there on the counter were the scissors in the photo above. They were the perfect size, with a comfortable grip and they were SHARP! and $4.00? really!? I immediately bought 6 pair - now here is the down side. No brand label. I have no idea who made these gems and neither did any of the available employees. They simply say "Made in China".


So I am greatful that I found them, and they were met with much approval by all of the girls in class today. I could see a marked improvement in cutting. But the world may never know who manufactured these scissors. I will never stop searching.






No comments:

Post a Comment