Monday, March 15, 2010



Homemade Oreos



I came accross a recipe for homemade oreos in the wide wide world of the internet quite a while ago. Not being a fan of the real deal oreo, I wasn't very keen on the idea of trying the recipe. But, as things usually do on the internet, the recipe popped up yet again, and I noticed that the filling, listen closely...had cream cheese in it. No kidding, why didn't you say so in the first place internet? I would have dropped what I was doing way back when and made these 'little devils' (see recipe) immediately. Creamcheese, as far as I am concerned, makes the culinary world go round. It's not for everyone, I know, but if you have anything against creamcheese, put those feelings aside just to take a quick bite of one of these cookies, you will not regret it. Man oh man, I packed up the rest of the cookies and dropped them off at the homes of families and friends...mostly because I had two for breakfast on Sunday and that is just madness.





In our house we only drink Huell Howser approved milk.



Here is the recipe:


1 box of devil's food cake
3/4 c of shortening
2 eggs

Mix these ingredients together for outer cookie wafers.
Roll into small balls (1 inch diameter..ish)
bake on cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes. Balls will flatten out while baking, so do not flatten before baking. And no need for greasing the cookie sheet. Do not over bake, they should be slightly mooshy (technical culinary term) and allowed to cool to hard for about 20min before frosting.

1 8oz package of creamcheese
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 stick of butter

Allow creamcheese and butter to soften before mixing together, unless you are the incredible hulk then mix straight out of the fridge. Spread this good stuff on an overturned wafer and top with another overturned wafer. Take small spoonfuls of this frosting to taste between cookie frosting (just a suggestion).








Homegrown radishes


We planted quite the crop this year of onions, red potatos, carrots, peas and radishes??? Not sure what the reason for the radishes were come to think of it. I mean, I like radishes but not as much as you would think if you saw our garden. EVERY seed we planted sprouted. So here is the first picking of our radishes. These were packed up with the oreos and distributed. Radishes were not as big a hit as the oreos as you might imagine. There are about a million more radishes on their way - other than eating them raw, or having them in potato salad, I am kind of at a loss for what to do with them. Radish Rose garnishes were suggested (thank you Sarah) dinner at our house will be fancy for a while - Any other suggestions?

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, now I am craving one of those Oreos! We might be making a grocery run to pick up just the things to make them. :)

    We are considering growing radishes, too, so I'll be interested to see the suggestions you get. My hubby likes to eat them with butter and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Yum, yum! Those oreos look delicious! Your blog looks fun. The hats were super cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete