Monday, April 5, 2010

Hello Monday - Spring Break and Sew! Sew! Sew! Three things about sewing you know but need to be reminded of...


All of the young ladies of the Ladies Sewing Circle are on Spring Break from school this week sooooo we'll be missing a few young ladies classes on Wednesday due to super fantastic and exciting spring break vacation activities. We won't be starting anything new, just finishing up the bunny slippers. And then...new April stuff that will be posted for your Tuesday viewing pleasure.

Until then here are a few quick points I have about sewing that I would like to share with you:

1. If you sew something once, you made one and it may or may not have been fun. If you sew two of that something, you will know how to do it a little bit faster and better based on what you did the first time around. If you sew something three times, it will probably stick and you can crank this 'something' out, like nobody's business from here on in and it will look better each time. In short, do not be discouraged by your first attempt at any sewing project because it will most definitely look like you made it with your left foot in the dark. It will take at least three times to look as though you made it and four or more times to make it look like it was manufactured in a fancy-shmancy high-falutin factory. Isn't that what we are all aiming for?

2. Sewing takes time, so enjoy the process. Put on some music or some television in the background and go to it. Or if you are part of the sewing circle, engage in some conversation that is likely to take you from angry biting geese to possible names for future pet bunnies and then back again in a matter of seconds. It is important that you realise this fact before you begin your project. Do not expect to complete and entire project each time you sit down to sew. I love to instead concentrate on making super straight sewing lines and ironing between each step. I also like to estimate the time it will take in total and try to stick to a schedule to finish. Sewing is a process, not a race. Sewing is war.

3. Start early. This means several things. Age - I started sewing when I was fiveish' and look at me now, just look, I can make anything. No brag, just fact. And I love it.
In terms of project completion however, if you have a sewing project in mind, and you need it by next month, for goodness sake start now. Poofy hair flowers are cute now, but if you need twenty by Tuesday and it's 9:00pm on Monday, you will hate yourself and those poofy hair flowers before you are done and where is the joy in that? I'm just singin' the same old tune you've heard before, it's called Procrastination and it's by Nancy and the To-Do List Avoiders.

Look at me imparting wisdom like I have any to spare, I swear, I totally searched for my phone today and I found it in my hand. And look at me sharing that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment