Friday, May 21, 2010

Scrap Day or Free Time Sewing Day

Wednesday was our sewing class's first official free sewing day. Meaning, I brought most all of the scraps that I save all year long and I gave the girls the opportunity (for the last half of class) to make whatever their little hearts desired. This is something that I have not been able to do as of yet for the reason that machine skills were still being developed and I wanted to get a few projects under their belts before I asked them to be creative. The past few weeks have shown me just how creative they can be, what with their cute little additions to some of our planned projects bows, pockets, stripes, etc. So the free sew day was a go. (Also it gave me some much needed time to perfect the hat we will be working on come next week... hats are fussy, if you didn't know =)

I cannot believe what some of them came up with. Pocket clotheslines, masks worthy of international spies, purses, some girls added pockets to the insides of their beach bags. Darling little flowers and bears that are very similar to the appliques that we will be putting on the messenger bags in the summer classes. Jewelry and hair accessories.

Needless to say, I was very impressed. Free sewing allowed me, but more importantly the girls, to see that they have come a long long way since class began. I promised the girls that we will definitely do this again before summer and I really cannot wait to see what they come up with next. I will take some pictures of their creations next week if they let me.

the sewing teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment